Ministers are pleased to announce that they have agreed on the core elements of the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP). The new accord is more comprehensive and progressive and allows member countries to postpone some responsibilities to ensure interests for each party in the new context.
Vietnamese Minister of Industry and Trade Tran Tuan Anh and Japanese Minister in charge of Economic Revitalization Toshimitsu Motegi co-chaired the press conference on TPP
Toshimitsu Motegi, Japanese Minister in charge of Economic Revitalization said as above at the press conference on announcement of discussion results of Ministers who take the responsibility of 11 member countries in Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) in Danang recently.
Minister Toshimitsu Motegi told that previously known as the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP), it now will be known as the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP).
Ministers are also pleased to announce that they have agreed on the core elements of the new Agreement in the direction of maintaining the contents of the TPP and allowing member countries to postpone some responsibilities to ensure interests for each party in the new context.
According to this Statement, ministers have ordered officials to continue with their technical work, including efforts to finalise those items on which consensus has yet to be achieved and legal verification to prepare the final text for signing.
Below is the full text of the Trans-Pacific Partnership Ministerial Statement:
Toshimitsu Motegi, Japanese Minister in charge of Economic Revitalization, added at the press conference that 20 provisions of the original deal had been put on hold, pending further discussions before any final approval by lawmakers in each country, including:
1. Express Shipments – Article 5.7.1(f) - suspend second sentence
2. Investment Agreement and Investment Authorisation (ISDS applies to these)
9.1 Definitions - suspend “investment agreement” and “investment authorisation” and
associated Footnotes (5 - 11)
9.19.1 Submission of Claim to Arbitration - a(i) B and C; (b)(i) B and C (investment
authorisation or investment agreement), chausette, footnote 31
9.19.2 Submission of Claim to Arbitration, footnote 32
9.19.3 Submission of Claim to Arbitration - (b)delete investment authorisation or investment
9.22.5 Selection of Arbitrators
9.25.2 Governing Law
Annex 9-L Investment Agreements
3. Express Delivery Services – Annex 10-B - suspend paragraph 5 and 6
4. Minimum Standard of Treatment in Article 11.2 – suspend sub-paragraph 2(b); footnote 3 and
5. Resolution of Telecommunications Disputes - Article 13.21.1(d)
6. Conditions for Participation - Article 15.8.5 - Commitments relating to labour rights in
conditions for participation
7. Further Negotiations - Article 15.24.2 - suspend “No later than three years after the date of
entry into force of this Agreement” *
* footnote: The Parties agree that negotiations referred to in Article 15.24.2 shall commence
no earlier than five years after entry into force of this Agreement, unless the Parties agree
otherwise. Such negotiations shall commence at the request of a Party.
8. National Treatment - Article 18.8 footnote 4 – suspend last two sentences
9. Patentable Subject Matter - Article 18.37.2 and 18.37.4 (Second Sentence)
10. Patent Term Adjustment for Unreasonable Granting Authority Delays - Article 18.46
11. Patent Term Adjustment for Unreasonable Curtailment – Article 18.48
12. Protection of Undisclosed Test or Other Data- Article 18.50
13. Biologics - Article 18.51
14. Term of Protection for Copyright and Related Rights - Article 18.63
15. Technological Protection Measures (TPMs) - Article 18.68
16. Rights Management Information (RMI) - Article 18.69
17. Protection of Encrypted Program-Carrying Satellite and Cable Signals - Article 18.79
18. Legal Remedies and Safe Harbours - Article 18.82 and Annexes 18-E and 18-F
19. Conservation and Trade (measures ‘to combat’ trade) - Article 20.17.5 – suspend “or another
applicable law” and footnote 26
20. Transparency and Procedural Fairness for Pharmaceutical Products and Medical Devices -
suspend Annex 26A - Article 3 on Procedural Fairness
Source: baochinhphu.vn (VGP News)